Lipitor No Better Than Other Cholesterol Drugs
September 20, 2005
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article.
According to a German study, Lipitor, Pfizer's cholesterol-lowering statin drug and the best-selling drug in the world, is no more effective than similar cholesterol drugs, and in some cases may have worse side effects.
Controversy Follows New Price Guidelines
The study demonstrating this stems from a controversy in Germany regarding the pricing of Lipitor and other statin drugs.
Health insurers in Germany introduced a fixed price for Lipitor at the end of 2004. Pfizer asked its patients to pay the difference between the price of Lipitor and the sum that would be paid by health insurers, then started an advertising campaign in newspapers arguing that Lipitor is better than other statins. Most other pharmaceutical companies lowered the price of their drugs after the fixed price was introduced.
Lipitor No Better and Often Worse
The study, which involved a survey of previous studies from around the world, found that:
- Lipitor did not prolong the life of people with chronic coronary heart disease
- For acute diseases, Lipitor, Zocor, and Pravastin provided similar results
- Lipitor did not prolong life in people with diabetes mellitus
- Some studies on Lipitor had to be stopped because it had more side effects compared with Zocor
Stay Up-To-Date on the Latest Health News
If you haven't already, here's your chance to subscribe to the world's most popular newsletter! My FREE newsletter is instrumental in changing the lives of many people across the world. If you want to take control of your health then you won't want to miss out on this opportunity.
When you subscribe I guarantee:
- You'll be the first to hear about fast-breaking health news and hard-to-find tips for improving your emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being
- You'll save money because I'm committed to helping you stay healthy, so you won't need expensive prescription drugs or doctor's visits so often
- You'll get straight talk from me in plain English that shatters all the myths and misconceptions about health, aging, and fitness
Don't be left in the dark on breaking health news! Sign up for my daily newsletter today!