Are Invisible Mold, Spores in Your Home? They Could Increase Your Risk of Multiple Allergies
July 01, 2006
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article!
Email this article to a friend
Fungal spores common in the air we breathe daily may increase children's risk of multiple allergies, according to a study by University of Cincinnati researchers.
Infants who were exposed to basidiospores and the fungal spores penicillium/aspergillus and alternaria in the air early in life had an increased risk of developing allergies later in life. The children had an increased risk of allergy to:
- Dust and mites
- Pet dander
- Certain foods
Fungus grows by releasing reproductive cells, or spores, into the air, and mold is a type of fungus. While previous allergy studies have focused on visible mold, this study is unique in that it focused on invisible airborne spores.
Mold grows in moist environments, including wood, drywall and cement. If mold is in your home, the researchers recommended resolving any moisture issues (roof or plumbing leaks, etc.) and following the Environmental Protection Agency's guidelines for mold removal.