Hide this

The 10 Most Deadly Poisons Ingested or Inhaled

August 08, 2006 | 55,917 views

Wired magazine has released a list of the 10 deadliest poisons that work either by ingestion of inhalation. They include:

Cyanide: Cyanide exposure leads to seizures, cardiac arrest, and death within minutes.

Sarin: A deadly nerve gas hundreds of times more toxic than cyanide.

Botulinum: Several orders of magnitude deadlier than sarin, this poison causes your nervous system to fail, resulting in an extremely painful death.

Mercury: Inhaled mercury vapor attacks the brain and lungs, and shuts down the central nervous system. Mercury starts turning into a gas at room temperature.

Compound 1080: This poison is odorless, tasteless, and has no antidote. The bodies of those killed with 1080 remain poisonous for a year.


Dr. Mercola's Comments:

The toxins in the Wired article are some of the most potent, as they are deadly in very small concentrations.

After over three decades of studying and treating the human body I am convinced that it is possible to overcome even the most serious infections known to man. A healthy immune system should be able to counter just about any infection. However, you want to avoid toxins, especially the potent ones in the article above, at all costs.

Infections are most dangerous when they produce toxins. Fortunately, most infections don't -- but when they do they can make you extremely sick. You simply want to avoid these at all costs. I recently had a first-hand experience with this.

I typically eat most of my meat uncooked, as I am convinced that is the way we were designed to eat it. I am careful to only use high-quality sources when I do this. I had my family over for my birthday party last month and I served myself some raw New Zealand grass-fed lamb. It was my birthday, so I indulged in foods I typically don't eat.

About midnight that night I woke up with waves of violent nausea and explosive diarrhea. I suspect the raw lamb I ate was likely infected, but it is likely that some of the other foods I had did not help the situation.

I felt terrible. I rushed to the bathroom and tried to eliminate the toxins through my stools. I realized then why some people die of these events. I am certain that would have been my last night had I been elderly and debilitated.

But that is not the case for me -- I am probably in the top 1 percent of healthy people alive. I can assure you, though, that I did not feel that way that night.  While on the toilet bowel, I developed the sense that I needed to vomit but as I prepared to get myself into position I passed out on the tile floor.

There must have been a massive discharge from my parasympathetic nervous system, and my vagus nerve essentially shut off the blood flow to my brain, so I had a syncopal reaction. Because I was unconscious, I hit the floor quite hard and bruised my eye and lacerated my lip. I actually could have used a few sutures to close the wound. I woke up about 30 minutes later in a pool of blood on the bathroom floor.

I regained consciousness, thanked God I was still alive, and then crawled back into bed very confident my body would rapidly recover. I took an entire bottle of probiotics the next day and felt much better. Unfortunately, it took nearly 10 days for my black eye to recover, and there were quite a few good stories around the office as you might imagine.

This experience made me a hard-core believer in the power of bacterial endotoxins.

There is another toxin, though, that I NEVER want to have to experience, and that is botulism, which is the most poisonous substance known to man.

Crystalline botulinum toxin in the amount of a single gram -- a mere ONE-FIFTH of one teaspoon -- evenly dispersed and inhaled, would kill more than a million, yes 1 million, people. To give you an idea of its potency, botulism is 275 times more toxic than cyanide, and 100,000 times more toxic than sarin nerve gas.

No matter how healthy you are, I don't think it is humanly possible to stand up to this toxin and survive even if you took a case of probiotics.

However, you're also exposed to many common toxins every day such as: 

  • Pesticides
  • Mold and fungal toxins
  • Phthalates
  • Dioxins
  • Asbestos

But I'm sharing the Wired list of poisons for a reason. Although you'll likely never be exposed to poisons like anthrax, sarin, ricin or tetrodotoxin, you're in significantly more danger from mercury.

What's insidious about mercury is how this deadly toxin hides in plain sight, one contained in "safe" vaccines that harm the minds of babies.

Mercury exposure can cause a devastating array of problems, including:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Central Nervous System Disorders
  • Autism
  • Alzheimer's Disease

Play it safe, and avoid useless flu vaccinations for yourself and your children. They're still loaded with mercury and should be avoided. Just makes no sense to put you or your family at risk.

[+] Sources and References

Thank you! Your purchases help us support these charities and organizations.