Today, I‘ll be showing you how to make your own homemade tomato sauce from scratch. It might sound like a very simple recipe, but in reality, how many of us actually do it? I‘m sure, like me, you very often just go out and buy a can or jar of tomato sauce, because it‘s much easier.
Well, this recipe is incredibly easy to do, and you can make it in bulk ahead of time and freeze it for later use.
- Large pot of boiling water
- Large bowl for mixing/blending
- Immersion blender (or regular blender or food processor)
- Large bowl of cold water
- Large slotted spoon
- At least 4 large, fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves chopped garlic, or to taste
- Place tomatoes in boiling water for approx 20 seconds.
- Remove tomatoes and plunge in cold water for about 12-15 seconds.
- Remove tomatoes from cold water.
- Peel tomatoes with fingers, breaking peel with fingernail or knife.
- Blend tomatoes with garlic to desired consistency, either smooth or with tomato chunks.
- Alternately, you may use a blender or food processor.
Makes 2-4 servings.
Note: You may add whatever flavorings, in addition to garlic, that you like, such as fresh basil, Italian herbs, black pepper, etc for a pasta sauce. Or, add any other spices or curry paste or sauce.
How easy was that? Raw, homemade, delicious and incredibly good for you. I hope you enjoy this recipe.