Household chemists beware -- the fumes produced by mixing ammonia and bleach products can cause serious lung problems. When bleach and ammonia are combined, the doctors explain, they create a gas called chloramine.
When inhaled, this gas releases ammonia, hydrochloric acid, and oxygen free radicals in the lungs. Small amounts of chloramine may cause mild irritation, but it can corrode the tissues of the lung and damage the cells.
The result: inflammation of the lung tissues and build-up of fluids that can obstruct the airways.
The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;341:848-849.
COMMENT: Simple common sense that we can all can be reminded of.