17 Ways to Create the Perfect Workday
February 21, 2008
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by your workdays, but it is possible to create an environment where you can allow yourself to be more relaxed and happier. The first step is the realization that you are in control of your day, and the belief that you can create the perfect workday, too.
This Zen Habits article offers a number of great tips to create a peaceful, relaxed workday. Here are 10 of them (click the link below for the full list of 17):
1. Do Less. Learn to reduce the amount you do -- perhaps you could choose three important things to achieve each day, the ones that will have the most impact on your life.
2. Start the day with a relaxing shower or bath. This will get you in a relaxed mood, which is much better than starting the day stressed out.
3. Get in some morning exercise. It will relax you, and gives you a sense of well-being and accomplishment.
4. Create a clutter-free environment. Clutter-free surroundings create a peaceful working environment.
5. Turn off the distractions. This includes phones, email notification, instant messaging, anything that will break into your focus.
6. Take breaks and stretch. Get up, stretch, massage your shoulders, neck and head; it will keep you relaxed throughout the day.
7. Roll with the punches. There will always be things that go wrong. When things get overwhelming, take a step back to get some perspective.
8. Work when it’s quiet. This may be early in the morning, during your office lunch hour, or late at night -- choose whatever works for you so that you can get some solid work in without distractions.
9. Cut back on your commitments. Choose four to five things that are absolutely essential, and then eliminate the rest over time.
10. Focus on the present. Rather than worrying about what you have to do in the future, or reliving things that happened in the past, focus on what you’re doing right now.