These people, however, are not any smarter, better connected or more competent than you are. It’s their attitude that makes them so necessary, and the fact that they know how to make you feel better about yourself.
Do you want to be one of these insanely useful people? With these Lifehack tips, you can be!
- Share what you know: Be open with people about your strengths and knowledge.
- Be confident in yourself: Know that you are needed and valuable.
- Solve the current problem: Help people with the immediate problem they’re facing.
- Don’t take over: Work with others and show that you value their expertise and perspective.
- Ask for help: Give other people a chance to shine.
- Be reliable: Once you commit, follow through.
- Give willingly: Go the “extra mile” to help people out.
I especially like the point that even the most-respected “go-to” people did not get to that place because they outwitted anybody. They got there because of their positive attitude, and so can you.
Not only can your optimistic beliefs extend your life span, buffer the damaging effects of stress and even potentially cure cancer, but they can make a difference in someone else’s life.
What’s interesting is that the more open you are to sharing your knowledge with others and giving to those around you, the more you will attract like-minded people into your experience. You may even find that your usefulness begins to rub off on those around you -- at work, at home and in your community -- until you are surrounded by people who are truly looking out for those around them.
There is one warning I would place on this, and that is to know your limits and avoid spreading yourself too thin. Learn to say “no” when you need to, because if you try to be everything to everybody, you may be setting yourself up for eventual burnout.