Ten Simple Tricks to Help You Find Things Better With Google
March 01, 2008
For those of you wondering what a Google-related article is doing on a natural health site, I must confess that I am a technology junkie. That, and when I come across very useful, time-saving and simple tips of any kind I cannot resist sharing them so that you, too, can make your life easier.
Many people, including yours truly, use Google nearly everyday. But I bet that you are not using it to your full advantage. This search engine is remarkably efficient, and can turn up just the results you’re looking for, that is if you know where to look.
The Google tips that follow offer a win-win situation whether you simply love neat tech tricks as I do, or you’re looking for a few easy ways to make your workday more productive.
1. Find Different Types of Files. Simply add filetype:pdf (or switch pdf to ppt or doc) after your search terms.
2. Find Materials From Educational Institutes. For times when you need a reliable source, add site:edu after your search terms.
3. Use it as a Dictionary. Simply type define:keyword into the search engine.
4. Get the Time. You can find the current time in any location by searching for time location.
5. Find out the Weather. Search for location weather to get the forecast in any location.
6. Find Live Commentary. To get the score of a game or sporting event, type in a keyword, such as cricket, while the game is going on.
7. Do Calculations. You can enter everything from simple arithmetic to trigonometry using the search box. For instance, you can enter 26 * 9000, or sin(90) / cos(90).
8. Convert Currency. Google has an inbuilt currency converter. Just enter 1 USD in EUR (or whatever currency you need).
9. Check Your Stocks. Simply enter stocks: XXXX.
10. Find Images of Faces. To find image results of people only, add imgtype=face to the image URL. For instance, http://images.google.co.in/images?q=happy&imgtype=face.