Perhaps you gave up on finding your dream job once you realized that you would never be a professional football star or a ballerina. But that doesn’t mean you have to settle for a mundane career that doesn’t excite you.
So ask yourself:
- What would you rather be doing?
- Is there a way for you to make a living doing something that you love and feel passionately about?
- What are the steps to get you there?
- What are you waiting for?
In the meantime, you don’t need to suffer through each day. Here are some simple tips to help you enjoy your current job:
- Keep your work in perspective. Consider the bigger picture. Do some voluntary work to gain a broader outlook.
- Remember that you are more than your work. Do not have your identity too strongly tied to the job you do.
- Concentrate on the task at hand. Do not let yourself be distracted by worrying about all the other things to be done.
- Delegate wherever appropriate. Always remember the “3D” rule -- do it, dump it or delegate it -- and never handle a piece of paper twice.
- Have regular breaks. Get away from your normal workplace even if only for five minutes.
- Switch off once you leave work. Mentally say goodbye to your workspace the moment you leave for home.