Here are a few pointers about admitting your mistakes:
- See things from someone else’s perspective: If you’ve made a promise and failed to keep it, put yourself in the other party’s shoes and see how things look from there.
- Be sympathetic: Realize that your mistakes might affect many more people than just you.
- Take responsibility: Don’t try to weasel out of it, and don’t look around for someone else to blame.
- Accept the consequences: Be prepared to embrace whatever befalls you as a result of the mistakes you’ve made.
- Have a plan: You should have a clear idea of what went wrong and how you can fix it.
- Be sincere: Show honest emotion; it’s the first step to rebuilding the trust lost.
- Apologize: Sometimes just a simple “I’m sorry” will do the job.
If you have trouble dealing with the fact that you’ve made a mistake to begin with, let alone face up to it publicly, EFT can help you strengthen your self-acceptance to realize that making mistakes is okay.