100 Great Tips for Increasing Your Gas Mileage
July 26, 2008
I know that most Europeans spend far more for gas than Americans, but with gas approaching $5 per gallon in the U.S. these tips are becoming even more important.
So Ecomodder’s list of 100 suggestions for cutting down on the gas you use could not have come at a better time. The very first one covers the usual set of suggestions -- reducing driving by carpooling, bicycling, walking, taking public transit, or moving closer to work. The other 99 are methods you might not have thought of.
Some of the possibilities include:
1. Remove unused roof racks to reduce aerodynamic drag
2. Track your fuel consumption
3. Choose a route with trees or buildings along the edge to prevent crosswinds
4. Avoid drive-through windows, which lead to excessive idling
5. Drive shoeless to modulate the accelerator to the finest degree
6. Avoid “warm-up” idling -- it wastes fuel
7. Not driving during peak traffic times
8. Minimizing your use of the brake pedal as much as safely possible
9. Avoid parallel parking (which causes you to do multiple reverse/forward maneuvers)
10. Shift automatic transmissions to neutral when stopped
For 90 more great tips, click the link below!