Savory Vegetable Side Dish Perfect for a Chilly Winter Evening!
February 14, 2009
Today’s dish is a wonderful blend of Italian veggies like tomato & basil. The great thing is, you can use whatever you have in the fridge, as long as you use the basic ingredients.
- ½ to 1 whole onion, rough chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1 whole, medium zucchini, first cut lengthwise, then into chunks
- 1 miniature eggplant, cut lengthwise into fourths, then into chunks
- 1 green pepper, rough chopped
- Leaves from 2 large sprigs fresh, organic basil, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes
- Other veggies, as desired
1- Preheat oven to 220º.
2- In Dutch oven, place the following:
- Green pepper
- Chopped tomatoes
- Pureed tomatoes
3- Stir well to combine.
4- Cover and bake in oven at 220º for 2 to 3 hours, to allow veggies to soften and flavors to mingle.
This delicious, warming vegetable side dish goes great with stewed meat on a cold Autumn or Winter evening. Your whole family will love it!
Note: The knife used in this video is from Luci’s favorite, the Healthy Chef Knives set from Mercola.com.
The Dutch oven used in this video is from the Mercola Enameled Cast-Iron Cookware set, also available through Mercola.com. Luci particularly likes the even and effective way they conduct heat.