Portable or cordless phones are extremely convenient and popular in many households. The two most common types of phones are completely different in their communications technology and their biological impact; however, the transmission quality is identical.
The CT1 + (900MHz) uses an analog signal (not pulsed or digital) and this signal only happens during a call. The transmission power is quite low (10mW) and there is no known biological effect from either the phone or the base station. These are often hard to get and may only be available through the Internet. In fact, operation authorization for these phones expires on Dee 31, 2008.
The DECT (24GHz and 58GHz) phones use a digital pulsed signal even when no call is being placed. In fact, the base station of a DECT phone always transmits at full power. The DECT phone only transmits during a call and only when the user is actively talking. The transmission power is approximately 250mW. In addition to the higher radiation, the pulsed signal is approximately 100Hz which is within the biological range and therefore likely to cause adverse health effects.
The power from a DECT 24GHz cordless base does not just affect individuals within the same room, but actually will affect rooms above, below, and adjacent. The following values were measured when a cordless phone base was located in the office1:
Table 1. 2.4GHz cordless phone base station pwer density
|Office with phone||33,800 µW/m2|
|Master bedroom||13,500 µW/m2|
|Bedroom 2||5,400 µW/m2|
|Bedroom 3||680 µW/m2|
|Living room||14 µW/m2|
|Family room||50 µW/m2|
As Dr. Mercola says in his newsletter2 that this is "tissue damaging radiation". And like cellphones, according to Dr. Carlo (www.safewireless.org [not online as of July 2009]) these information-carrying radio waves from portable phones may:
- Damage your cell membranes
- Decrease your intracellular communication by disrupting microtubular connections that allow biophotons to communicate between cells.
- Increase deposits of heavy metals into your cells, which increases intracellular production of free radicals and can radically decrease cellular production of energy - thus making you incredibly fatigued.
- 1 Haumann, Thomas and Sierck, Peter, "Nonstop Pulsed 2.4 GHz Radiation Inside US Homes" presented at the 2nd International Workshop on Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Field 7-11 Oct 2002.
- 2 http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/12/20/cell-phones-can-literally-kill-you.aspx [cited 20 Dec 07]
- 3 G. Oberfield. "Environmental Medicine Evaluation of Electromagnetic Fields © 2007" [www.baubiologie.net/docs/elektrosmog-environmental-medicie-evaluation-2007.pdf] [not online as of July 2009]
- 4 Sage, et al, BioInitiative Report, p.24 [www.bioinitiative.org]