You don’t need to be incredibly experienced, or have a giant backyard, to have your own garden. These delicious plants require very little effort:
- Basil: Chop it up and freeze it in an ice-cube tray, then stir the cubes into soup or other dishes.
- Blueberries: Get an older bush that’s ready to start producing.
- Green beans: Green beans are easy to grow and easy to prepare.
- Peas: Invest in a trellis, to encourage them to grow upwards.
- Peppers: Try the spicy ones; they dry well.
- Perennial herbs: Oregano, rosemary, thyme and sage are all good, easy perennials.
- Salad greens: Lettuce can last throughout the summer; plant it in a shady area.
- Strawberries: You won’t get enough to make jam, but you can have a few for breakfast.
- Tomatoes: Novice gardeners should start with seedlings. Use stakes for support.