Recent Barbaric Experiments in Medicine
October 12, 2010
The following scientific experiments are considered sick, unethical or just plain sadistic by today's standards:
- 1939 ‘Monster Study,’ which involved berating and ridiculing children.
- World War II Porton Down Experiments, during which military servicemen were exposed to toxic nerve agents.
- Program F, which involved saturating public drinking water supplies in Newburgh, New York with high levels of fluoride for 12 years.
- 1971 Stanford Prison Experiment, a “mock” study of volunteer prisoners and inmates carried out in the basement of Stanford University that caused lasting psychological trauma to many study participants.
- Milgram Experiment, which studied the effects of authority on human behavior.
- 1950s to 1970s Holmesburg Dermatological Experiments, which involved injecting Holmesburg prison inmates with cancer-causing chemicals like dioxin.
- 1950s – 1960s Project MKULTRA, which involved the CIA giving LSD and other mind-altering drugs to uninformed test subjects.
- 1960s Willowbrook Hepatitis Experiment, during which researcher Saul Krugman infected mentally disabled children with hepatitis B so he could develop vaccine for it.
- 1970s – 1980s Aversion Project, which involved inhuman experiments like electroshock therapy, castration and forced sex-change operations among those suspected of being homosexual in South Africa’s military.
- 1932 Tuskegee Experiment, which involved 400 black men from Alabama with syphilis. Researchers did not inform them they had the disease (which allowed them to spread it to others), despite symptoms, and did not offer them treatment (even though it could have been treated with the development of penicillin in 1947).
An additional study, called the U.S. Public Health Service Sexually Transmitted Disease Inoculation Study of 1946-1948, involved intentionally infecting Guatemalans with syphilis, gonorrhea or chancres. The U.S. government just apologized for the study in October 2010.
The majority of these experiments happened years ago.