So U.S. News & World Report suggests the following five ways to keep yourself in the moment … and ultimately be happier:
- Start the day with a focused task. Those who practice a little mindfulness in the morning have a better ability to stay focused throughout the day.
- Exercise with mindfulness. You can add mindfulness to your workouts by paying attention to the sensations you are experiencing while you exercise.
- Immerse yourself in a good book or movie. Just don't allow yourself to be distracted by a ringing phone or buzzing Blackberry.
- Minimize multi-tasking. Force your attention back to the task at hand.
- Practice 5 to 10 minutes of daily meditation. Those who practice regular meditation can stop their minds from wandering much faster than those who don't.