One of the WORST Winter Mistakes You Can Make if You Live in These "25 Coldest Cities"
December 27, 2010
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article.
The Daily Beast offers a list of the twenty-five coldest cities in America. Here are a few of them --
Note that all temperatures are Fahrenheit
#1 -- Fairbanks, Alaska
Average winter temperature 2009: -0.6 degrees
Coldest day: -41.1 degrees, January 12
Warmest day: 48.2 degrees, March 29
Days with snow: 38 percent
#2 -- Grand Forks, North Dakota
Average winter temperature 2009: 14.8 degrees
Coldest day: -32.8 degrees, January 2
Warmest day: 66.2 degrees, March 30
Days with snow: 47 percent
#3 -- Bismarck, North Dakota
Average winter temperature 2009: 16.7 degrees
Coldest day: -33 degrees, January 8
Warmest day: 73.9 degrees, March 30
Days with snow: 51 percent
#4 -- Fargo, North Dakota
Average winter temperature 2009: 16.8 degrees
Coldest day: -33 degrees, January 2
Warmest day: 68 degrees, March 30
Days with snow: 36 percent
#5 -- Watertown, South Dakota
Average winter temperature 2009: 16.9 degrees
Coldest day: -29.2 degrees, January 2
Warmest day: 70 degrees, March 30
Days with snow: 45 percent
To see if your town is on the list, click the Daily Beast link below!
These cold temps can put a damper on your health and mood in more ways than one. For health advice related to these winter months, please see my comment below.
As for your mood, CNN Health offers several tips for maintaining a sunny outlook, regardless of the weather:
"There are simple things you can do to stay positive," says Sonja Lyubomirsky, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at the University of California, Riverside, and author of "The How of Happiness."
"It's important to keep your mood up because it can help you avoid everything from gaining extra pounds to feeling lethargic."
Try these techniques to stay sunny all winter long -- no trip to the Bahamas required!"
Here's a summary of a few of my favorites. For the rest, please see the original CNN article:
- Winterize your workout -- consider braving the elements: Research shows that exercising outside can lift your spirits, but if the weather won't cooperate, keep a go-to exercise DVD on hand.
- Eat mood-boosting foods -- resist the call of fatty, sugary comfort fare. Highly refined carbs and sugar can wreak havoc on your blood sugar level, which can leave you feeling cranky. Some comfort foods, however, can double as healthy pick-me-ups, especially if they contain mood-boosting nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, good carbohydrates (think vegetables), protein, and B vitamins.
- Socialize -- set aside some time each day for a "buddy moment," whether that's grabbing a quick lunch with a co-worker or meeting your sister for some exercise.
- Dress for the weather
- See the light -- sunlight increases your vitamin D and serotonin levels. In the winter, most northern areas simply do not provide enough natural sunlight to maintain optimal levels, so to get your fill, consider investing in a light box, which can help combat sluggishness. And any day the sun comes out, be sure to pop outside for some rays.
Effortless Healing – One Step at a Time – NOW AVAILABLE!
My newest book, Effortless Healing is now available! I've organized this book into a guide that will help you avoid the many pitfalls of the conventional approach to health. Rather than relying on expensive and potentially dangerous drugs, I will help you effortlessly make small shifts in what you eat and how you live to achieve your health goals. I promise, Effortless Healing isn't a book that will overwhelm you. On top of that, ordering the book today entitles you to 3 exclusive bonuses:
A sneak peek of my new book! You won’t need to wait for the book to arrive to get started. Begin reading my new book right away with your free sneak preview!
My most popular video interviews, all in one place. I’ve compiled 18 of my BEST expert interviews for you to watch and listen to at your leisure, and in the comfort of your own home or office.
Receive 15% off your next Mercola.com order. Depending on your order, your savings from this one bonus alone could more than cover the cost of your book!
All My Profits from This Book Will Be Donated
That's right. When you order a copy of my new book Effortless Healing, you'll be making a much-deserved donation to the key organizations that work quietly and efficiently behind the scenes to make the world a healthier place for you, your family, and your community.
Among them, you'll be benefiting and supporting the actions of:
- National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) – A non-profit organization that seeks to prevent vaccine injuries and deaths through public education and defending your right of informed choice.
- Organic Consumers Association (OCA) – A grassroots public interest organization campaigning for health, justice, and sustainability, and addressing food safety, GMOs, the industrial agricultural complex, children's health, and more. The ONLY U.S. organization focused exclusively on the interests that you and I share!
- Consumers for Dental Choice – Children, the unborn, and employees in the dental field are particularly vulnerable to mercury. But so is everyone with a mouthful of amalgam fillings (which are 50% mercury) at risk. Consumers for Dental Choice is working to phase out amalgam use and to promote access to mercury-free alternatives.
- Fluoride Action Network (FAN) – An international coalition aimed at ending water fluoridation and alerting you to fluoride's environmental and health risks. FAN keeps you informed about fluoride toxicity, and monitors government actions that may expose you to fluoride.
Are you ready to get started? The timing has never been better. Order your copy of Effortless Healing today, collect your free gifts, and let your journey begin!