7 Tips for Cleaning Fruits, Vegetables
June 07, 2011
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article!
Email this article to a friend
Nearly 48 million people are sickened by contaminated food each year in the United States. Many people don't realize that even produce can sometimes be the culprit in outbreaks of food-borne illness.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) offers the following tips for protecting yourself:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before and after preparing fresh produce
- Cut away any damaged or bruised areas
- Gently rub produce while holding it under plain running water
- Wash produce before you peel it
- Use a clean vegetable brush to scrub firm produce
- Dry produce with a clean cloth or paper towel
- Throw away the outermost leaves of a head of lettuce or cabbage