10 Technologies That Will Change the World in the Next 10 Years
August 01, 2011
Dave Evans is Cisco's chief futurist, and the chief technologist for the Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group. He outlined what he believed to be 10 technological trends that will change the world in 10 years. Here are some of them:
- The Internet of Things: There are now more things are connected to the Internet than people. By 2020, the number of Internet-connected things could be more than six devices for every person on Earth.
- The Data Flood: About 5 exabytes of unique information were created in 2008 -- the equivalent of a billion DVDs. In 2011, it will be 1.2 zettabytes (one zettabyte equals 1,024 exabytes.)
- The World Gets Smaller: With always-on connectivity, social influences will continue to move rapidly between cultures. A smaller world also means faster information dissemination.
- The Power of Power: As the human population also continues to grow, more efficient methods to provide power are becoming a necessity, particularly solar energy.
- Another Family Tree: Virtual humans, both physical (robots) and online avatars will be added to the workforce. By 2025, the robot population could surpass the number of humans in the developed world. By 2035, robots could completely replace humans in the workforce.
To read the rest, you can click on the link below.