Today, Luci is joined by her good friend, Erica, from Utah. Erica shares about her interest in Dr. Mercola's health newsletter, having first found out about it through a relative who had been helped through a serious health condition by Dr. Mercola's natural healing information. Nine years later, Erica still finds the newsletter of great value, and over this time, has incorporated many of its helpful health principles into her personal health path.
Together, Luci and Erica whip up a tantalizing dessert treat: Organic, chocolate brownies. If you're like Erica and you like sweets, but they don't like you back, this brownie treat will satisfy your sweet tooth without the downside. Follow along, and you'll soon be in brownie paradise!
- ½ cup amaranth flour (may replace with coconut flour; if so, add an extra egg)
- slightly over ¾ cup xylitol
- ¼ tsp salt
- Handful of nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
Wet ingredients in small bowl:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Wet ingredients in small saucepan:
- 2 squares unsweetened baker's chocolate
- ½ cup (1 stick) organic, raw butter
- Preheat oven to 325º oven (alternatively, may cook at 225° for longer time).
- Blend dry ingredients in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whip together eggs and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, slowly melt unsweetened chocolate squares and butter.
- Let butter/chocolate mixture cool a few minutes in the pan.
- Add dry ingredients to butter/chocolate pan.
- Add in egg/vanilla mixture. Stir gently, just until well blended. Do not over stir.
- If adding chocolate chips or nuts, fold in now.
- Pour, and spread batter evenly, into 8X8, greased, glass baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 325°; then watch closely until done (16-18 min total).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
Best served slightly underdone and hot. These brownies freeze well, so they can be kept on hand, but out of sight! Enjoy! I know you will.