Latest Trustworthy News from Dr. Mercola - delivered straight to your inbox!

Don't Believe the Hype -- There's Much More to Autism Than Genetics


This is an older article that may not reflect Dr. Mercola’s current view on this topic. Use our search engine to find Dr. Mercola’s latest position on any health topic.

Scientists have found a genetic mutation linked to autism, but news coverage of the discovery have made it out to be far more important than it actually is.

The mutations are present in only 1 percent of all kids with autism; in the other 99 percent, something else is going on. However, the heavy news coverage -- including stories in the Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times -- would likely lead a casual reader to believe that something truly significant has taken place.


By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.