The announcement came after authorities noticed a sharp spike inreports of pertussis, which often is mistaken for a cold or the flu and ishighly contagious.
A CDC study suggests that the resurgence of whoopingcough is due to the vaccine causing an increased and more virulent toxin.
The CDC acknowledges that whooping cough is recurring in highly vaccinatedcountries -- and that it is not just because some children are unvaccinated,although that can be a factor.
According to the CDC:
"The reemergence of pertussis has been attributed tovarious factors, including increased awareness, improved diagnostics, decreasedvaccination coverage, suboptimal vaccines, waning vaccine-induced immunity, andpathogen adaptation ... Pathogen adaptation is supported by severalobservations."
In other words, vaccinating against the whooping coughpathogens has caused the pathogens to evolve with a more virulent strain.
By Barbara Loe Fisher
Reportsof whooping cough outbreaks in California 1 2and in other states thissummer are nothing new. Every four to five years – no matter how highthe vaccination rate is, there are reports of whooping cough increases.
Whooping cough is a respiratory disease. Toxins inBordetella pertussis bacteria stimulate the production of large amountsof thick, sticky mucus that can clog the airways of tiny babies andchildren, making it difficult for them to take a breath withoutvomiting, choking and making a whooping sound 3 as they struggle tobreathe.
Why Whooping Cough Cannot be Prevented, Despite Near 100 Percent VaccinationRates
There is an acellular pertussisvaccine – DTaP - which was licensed for American babies in 1996. 4 DTaP replaced an older,very reactive whole cell pertussis vaccine - DPT - that was associatedwith more cases of high fever, collapse/shock, convulsions, braininflammation and permanent brain damage. 5 6
Itis well known that pertussis vaccines, which can contain variousamounts of bioactive toxins 7 8 9 10 11and also aluminum 12 13 14 and mercury 15 additives, have killedand brain injured some children.
Over halfof the 2,480 awards for vaccine injury and death totaling $2 billiondollars made under the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Actinvolve pertussis vaccine. 16
Pertussisvaccination rates are very high in the U.S. According to the CDC, 84percent of children under age three have received four DTaP shots. 17By the time Americanchildren enter kindergarten nearly every child has gotten all the CDCrecommended pertussis shots. 18
In2009, the CDC said that the proportion of totally unvaccinated childrenin America is only six hundredths of one percent (0.06). 19
Evenwith super high pertussis vaccine coverage in America and othercountries like the Netherlands, Australia, Finland and Canada, whoopingcough disease cannot be prevented. 20
There are number of reasons for thisfact.
- First, pertussis vaccines widely used since the 1950's have not prevented whooping cough disease from circulating in vaccinated populations. Unknown numbers of children and adults, who have gotten all government recommended pertussis shots, can and do develop whooping cough or are carriers without symptoms. 21 22
- Because pertussis vaccine immunity is only temporary and does not last, health officials are now telling teenagers and adults to get more booster shots. 23 But that is not going to matter if scientific evidence that B. pertussis organisms have mutated and become vaccine-resistant turns out to be correct. 24
- A second important reason is that another Bordetella organism – parapertussis – also can cause whooping cough. 25 B. parapertussis symptoms, while often milder, can look exactly like B. pertussis.
But doctors rarelyrecognize or test for parapertussis. 26 And there is NO vaccinefor parapertussis.
The DTaPvaccine given five times to children under age 6 and booster doses forteenagers and adults does not protect against whooping coughcaused by B. parapertussis.
Inhighly vaccinated countries like the U.S., parapertussis is on the riseand it is estimated that perhaps 30 percent or more of whooping coughdisease is actually caused by parapertussis! 27
Sowhich bacterial organism is causing much of the whooping cough beingseen in California, Nevada, 28 Oregon and other statesthis summer?
Is it B. pertussis or B.parapertussis?
Has there been any attemptby health officials to do expensive PCR lab tests on suspected whoopingcough cases to find out? 29
Asking the Right Questions is Imperative
Another question: Are public health officialsbeing transparent with the public about just how many children andadults reported to have whooping cough have been fully vaccinated?
In 1985 there was a lot of publicity about whoopingcough outbreaks in eight states and all the blame was put on parents ofDPT vaccine injured children calling for a safer pertussis vaccine.
But 25 years ago I investigated those whooping coughoutbreaks and found 50 to 80 percent or more of the children and adultswith whooping cough symptoms had been vaccinated. 30
- Bordetella organisms causing whooping cough disease live in animals like sheep, pigs, cats and dogs, as well as humans, and have been part of the earth's ecosystem, evolving to survive, for thousands of years. 31 32 Yet, mass vaccination of humans with pertussis vaccine is only 60 years old.
- So why are the unvaccinated being blamed for whooping cough outbreaks in California, 33Oregon 34 and other states?
- The majority of Americans alive today have gotten 3 to 5 pertussis shots.
- The truth is that, whether you are vaccinated or not, you can get a mild or serious case of whooping cough from B. pertussis or B. parapertussis organisms. And both whooping cough disease and pertussis vaccines carry a risk of injury or death, which can be greater for some than others.
- There are no guarantees.
- It is time for public health officials and doctors to look at themselves and stop pointing fingers at those who have examined pertussis vaccine benefits and risks and come to a different conclusion.
Vaccine Does NOT Equal Assurance of Immunity
After my precocious two year old son suffered aconvulsion, collapse/shock and brain inflammation following his fourthDPT shot in 1980 and was left with multiple learning disabilities andattention deficit disorder, in 1993 my two youngest children, then 5 and10 years old, came down with whooping cough. They coughed violently andspit up huge amounts of thick mucus for 8 weeks before fully recoveringand going on to become honor roll students.
Theprofile on whooping cough in the 1985 book I co-authored with medicalhistorian Harris Coulter, "DPT: A Shot in the Dark," 35is about my sister andher family, who were fully vaccinated. Her newborn baby almost died ofwhooping cough but survived and attended college on a full academicscholarship. Even so, other babies who get whoopingcough do not survive.
There are noguarantees.
A quarter century later, DPT:A Shot in the Dark still stands as the most comprehensive,referenced analysis of whooping cough and pertussis vaccine risks andwhy America's mass vaccination system is in urgent need of reform.
Go to NVIC.org 36 and become a family donorsupporter of the National Vaccine Information Center and you willreceive a complimentary copy of that historic book.
Protectyourself and your child by making educated vaccine decisions. It's yourhealth. Your family. Your choice.