1 All teas come from the same plant, an evergreen called Camellia sinensis, except for:
Black and green tea (as well as oolong, dark and white teas) come from the same plant, an evergreen called Camellia sinensis. Learn more.
2 Grain feeding cows encourages the growth of E. coli in the animals' gut because it:
- Impairs their ability to get optimal deep sleep
- Detrimentally changes their gut microbiome
Grain feeding cows also encourages the growth of E. coli in the animals' gut, as it leads to a more acidic environment. Learn more.
- Decreases their heart rate variability
- Causes insulin and leptin resistance
3 Athletes and those who exercise regularly should limit their intake of antioxidant supplements and time their consumption of them as far away from their exercise session as possible because:
- Antioxidants can upset the digestive system when taken right before exercise
- Antioxidants have been shown to impair the beneficial effects of free radical signaling generated by exercise
While dietary supplements are generally safe, when and how you take them can make a difference both in terms of safety and effectiveness. Studies suggest taking antioxidants immediately prior to exercise impair the beneficial effects of free radical signaling generated by exercise. Learn more.
- Antioxidants have been shown to inhibit your body's ability to burn fat
- For anti-inflammatory effects, antioxidants should be taken on an empty stomach, post-workout
4 How much sleep does the typical adult person need for optimal health and disease prevention?
- 6 to 7 hours per night
- 7 to 9 hours per night
Research suggests most adults need about eight hours of sleep per night to maintain good health. Lack of sleep can increase your risk for accidents, weight gain and chronic diseases, and impair your memory. Learn more.
- 9 to 10 hours per night
- No ideal amount of sleep has ever been identified scientifically
5 How long should you do strict ketosis before adding healthy carbohydrates back into your diet a few days a week?
- Once your blood sugar is below 80 mg/dl
- Three months
- When you feel better
- After your body starts producing ketones
Cyclical nutritional ketosis is recommended, as long-term uninterrupted nutritional ketosis can trigger a paradoxical rise in blood sugar by driving your insulin level too low. Learn more.
6 Which of the following materials or substrates will prevent you from grounding to the Earth and taking advantage of the health benefits associated with earthing?
- Sealed concrete and/or shoes with synthetic soles
Grounding or earthing is defined as placing one's bare feet on the ground, whether it be dirt, grass, sand or unsealed, unpainted concrete. When grounding is restored, many people report significant improvement in a wide range of ailments. Learn more.
- Dewy grass and/or leather-soled shoes
- Tiles and concrete
- Bare soil and/or sandy beach
7 Which of the following colors of light is most indicated for the treatment of sunburn, an accidental burn or post-surgical wound?
You can use colored light therapy either by shining light through a colored filter or by wearing colored glasses. Indigo and blue are used for "hot" conditions such as burns, inflammation and wounds; lemon, yellow and red are staples for chronic conditions. Learn more.