Back pain affects about 8 out of 10 people. But there are many steps you can take to avoid it. One of the best things you can do to prevent back pain is to exercise regularly and keep your back and abdominal muscles strong.
Here are some quick pointers to prevent back problems:
- Always stretch before any strenuous physical activity (in fact it would be wise to engage in a regular stretching program like active isolated stretching, which is what I use every day)
- Don’t slouch when standing or sitting
- Sit in chairs or car seats with good lumbar support
- Switch sitting positions often and periodically walk around or gently stretch muscles to relieve tension
- Don’t bend over without supporting your back
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes
- Sleep on your side to reduce any curve in your spine, and always sleep on a firm surface
- Lift with your legs, keeping your back straight
- Try to control your weight
- If you smoke, quit; smoking reduces blood flow to the lower spine and causes the spinal discs to degenerate
Also, to keep your spine strong, as with all bones, you need to get enough vitamin D every day.