Low Cholesterol Causes Aggressive Behavior and Depression
January 14, 2001
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article.
Despite the fact that most people are worried about having cholesterol
levels that are too high, yet another study has found that low cholesterol
is actually associated with adverse behavioral effects such as aggression
While the medical establishment continues to push the suppression
of cholesterol levels to abnormally low levels, it is not widely
known that there is a significant amount of evidence linking low
cholesterol to aggressive behavior and depression.
According to researchers from Yale University School of Medicine,
"The well-documented negative association between serum cholesterol
and aggressive behavior has led Kaplan (Psychosom
Med 1994 Nov-Dec;56:479-84) to propose a cholesterol-serotonin
hypothesis of aggression.
According to this hypothesis, low dietary
cholesterol intake leads to depressed central serotonergic
activity, which itself has been reported in numerous studies of
- Researchers studied 25 violent psychiatric patients
- For 7 days, the patients wore signaling devices that emitted
an average of seven signals a day.
- Following each signal, patients filled out a mood questionnaire.
The authors found that "Total serum cholesterol (TSC) concentration
was positively associated with measures of affect, cognitive efficiency,
activation, and sociability, suggesting a link between low TSC and
"These findings are consistent with the cholesterol-serotonin
hypothesis and with the substantive literature linking both aggression
and depression to depressed central
serotonergic activity," they conclude.
Journal of Behavioral
Medicine, December 1, 2000; 23: 519-529
Effortless Healing – One Step at a Time – NOW AVAILABLE!
My newest book, Effortless Healing is now available! I've organized this book into a guide that will help you avoid the many pitfalls of the conventional approach to health. Rather than relying on expensive and potentially dangerous drugs, I will help you effortlessly make small shifts in what you eat and how you live to achieve your health goals. I promise, Effortless Healing isn't a book that will overwhelm you. On top of that, ordering the book today entitles you to 3 exclusive bonuses:
A sneak peek of my new book! You won’t need to wait for the book to arrive to get started. Begin reading my new book right away with your free sneak preview!
My most popular video interviews, all in one place. I’ve compiled 18 of my BEST expert interviews for you to watch and listen to at your leisure, and in the comfort of your own home or office.
Receive 15% off your next Mercola.com order. Depending on your order, your savings from this one bonus alone could more than cover the cost of your book!
All My Profits from This Book Will Be Donated
That's right. When you order a copy of my new book Effortless Healing, you'll be making a much-deserved donation to the key organizations that work quietly and efficiently behind the scenes to make the world a healthier place for you, your family, and your community.
Among them, you'll be benefiting and supporting the actions of:
- National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) – A non-profit organization that seeks to prevent vaccine injuries and deaths through public education and defending your right of informed choice.
- Organic Consumers Association (OCA) – A grassroots public interest organization campaigning for health, justice, and sustainability, and addressing food safety, GMOs, the industrial agricultural complex, children's health, and more. The ONLY U.S. organization focused exclusively on the interests that you and I share!
- Consumers for Dental Choice – Children, the unborn, and employees in the dental field are particularly vulnerable to mercury. But so is everyone with a mouthful of amalgam fillings (which are 50% mercury) at risk. Consumers for Dental Choice is working to phase out amalgam use and to promote access to mercury-free alternatives.
- Fluoride Action Network (FAN) – An international coalition aimed at ending water fluoridation and alerting you to fluoride's environmental and health risks. FAN keeps you informed about fluoride toxicity, and monitors government actions that may expose you to fluoride.
Are you ready to get started? The timing has never been better. Order your copy of Effortless Healing today, collect your free gifts, and let your journey begin!