Bet You've Never Had a Smashing Good Soup Like This One!
October 11, 2008
Today's recipe is one of my all-time favorites. But don't be fooled by its simplicity. In case you think this soup is anything less than fabulous, I assure you it's delish.
Trust me. You have to try this one!
The beauty part of this soup is, you can use any kind of lettuce or green you'd like, and it's a great way to use up some of the thicker parts of greens.
This soup's lovely, green color, with its fragrant blend of fresh greens & savory onions will have you & your family yelling, "Yummy, scrummy!" from the rooftops!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut roughly
- 1 loosely-packed cup fresh cilantro, cut roughly
- Approx. 4 cups fresh spinach, torn roughly
- 3 cups cold water
- Sea Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked kohlrabi or other root vegetable, chopped (optional)
- Cream, to taste & consistency (optional)
- In a cast-iron pan, sauté onion for a couple minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and sauté a few minutes just until garlic slightly browns.
- Transfer onions and garlic into a medium-sized soup pot.
- Add spinach, cilantro and lettuce to pot, and stir.
- Pour in water.
- Sprinkle in salt & black pepper to taste (I like to use Himalayan Salt)
- Stir well.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- If adding kohlrabi or other root veggie, do so now. (not best for protein types)
- Blend soup to creamy consistency, using immersion blender.
- If adding cream, do so now and blend one moment more.
You'll soon see how quick & easy this soup is to make, only about 15 minutes total prep & cooking time. Enjoy!